What You Should Ask & Know When Choosing Removalists
Moving house and hiring removalists means entrusting your precious furniture and memories to some guy from the internet. It is no surprise that moving is considered one of life’s most stressful events!
Choosing the right removalist team makes all the difference to how your moving day will go.
Moving is not always cheap but there are plenty of furniture removalists to fit every budget from the guy from gumtree to the super-duper national company. Collecting at least three different removalists’ estimates will let you know the right budget for your needs. Remember that selecting removalists is an individual choice. You’ll find your perfect fit by checking out websites, social media pages and asking the removalist company some questions.
Here’s what you’ll need to know in advance:
- Preferred moving dates
- Is your move local / regional / Interstate
- What size is your move
- Your insurance cover requirements
- Your packing arrangements: self-packing or packaging by removalists
- Are you moving valuable or fragile items
- Do you have a storage need
Once you have shared your information with your potential furniture removalists, take the time to ask them some questions (or check out their FAQ’s on their website)
Here are some crucial points to consider:
- Do they subcontract?
- Is your quote complete or are there extra charges not included?
- Do you charge by the hour? This often keeps costs lower as you only pay for what you use.
- Clarify payment terms upfront.
- Get the removalists liability throughout the move. Many removalists don’t cover you for damage if you’ve self-packed unless they are clearly involved in damaging goods. Know the extent of their liability upfront.
- Are they insured? Never choose furniture removalists who lack adequate insurance.
- Do they have references? Recommendation and reputation are strong indicators. Check out social media for honest reviews. If previous movers speak of positive experiences, you’ve probably found a good removalist!
- Are my belongings kept secure throughout the move? Ensure furniture removalists will secure your belongings from door to door.
Your removalists can determine your moving experience and how you feel on your first day in your new home. So choose wisely to ensure your precious belongings and furniture are in expert hands.